A MAN who was wanted for allegedly beating up and injuring a five-year-old boy is finally behind bars.
Cops had been looking for him since February 2022 after he fled his home in Tembisa, Ekurhuleni.
However, the suspect made a big mistake on Monday, 24 April, by joining a protest that was going on in the area.
He was noticed by one of the community members who was attending to the child's abuse case.
The resident informed the police, who were monitoring the protest, of his presence.
The police quietly walked up to him. He was shocked to see them handcuffing him.
Sergeant Patricia Mgijima of Tembisa Police Station said the suspect will appear in court on Wednesday, 26 April.
Mgijima confirmed the police were monitoring a protest at the time of the arrest.
"The protest was called by the Tembisa Community Forum, complaining about high rates and electricity cut offs," she said.
ALSO READ: Dad bust for 'killing' his baby boy!
"Residents marched to Winnie Mandela Customer Care Centre to hand over their memorandum after more than half of the Tembisa households' electricity was switched off," Mgijima said.
One community leader said residents were also complaining of the abnormal hikes in rental costs.
Mgijima said without causing havoc or attracting any attention, she and Sergeant Charles Nokeri arrested and later detained the 32-year-old man for assault.
"The suspect will appear this week before the Tembisa Magistrates Court to answer for a charge of Assault GBH," she said.