THE South African embassy in Bern, Switzerland has rejected a plea by the family of the late hip hop artist Bravo Le Roux to pay for the repatriation of his body from abroad.
Daily Sun can exclusively reveal that Bravo Le Roux's family member Peter Messina contacted the embassy on Tuesday, 27 January 2026, shortly after the musician's untimely death, which has sent shockwaves in the entertainment ecosystem.
The family asked for financial assistance to pay for the transportation of the rapper's body to the Western Cape for a burial. It's alleged the estimated costs for the repatriation of the body could amount to nearly R500 000.
However, in an email, which Daily Sun has seen, the embassy declined to offer any financial support to the family.
"Dear Ms Peter-Messina, the South African Embassy in Bern acknowledges receipt of your email dated 27 January 2026. We would like to express our sincere condolences to you and your family on your loss.
"Kindly note that we fully understand the family's situation during this time of mourning, but the South African Government does not bear any costs relating to South African nationals deceased abroad," reads the email, which was leaked to us by a Department of International Relations official.
The email, which was authored by the embassy's consular section, advised Bravo Le Roux's family to rather contact the Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture Gayton McKenzie for possible financial assistance.
"You are, however, welcome to engage the Office of the Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture directly in this regard," reads the email.
According to the official, the family was devastated by the embassy's response.
Following the embassy's response, Bravo Le Roux's fans and concerned South Africans embarked on campaign to raise funds to pay for the repatriation costs of his body.
The official said they're hopeful and optimistic that McKenzie will come to the family's rescue and foot the bill.
Bravo Le Roux, who hails from Khayelitsha in the Western Cape, died in Switzerland last week at the age of 30.
The cause of death remains unknown.
The artist, born Sinesipho Peter, was in Switzerland with his wife, DJ Sab, at the time of his passing.
ALSO READ | Ex-Skeem Saam actor breaks his silenceOpens in new window
Spokesman for the Ministry of International Relations and Cooperation Chrispin Phiri confirmed that the embassy has received the family's request for financial assistance to repatriate the muso's body.
"As a matter of principle, South African missions abroad do not bear the costs associated with the repatriation of mortal remains. This is in line with international consular practice, where such expenses remain the responsibility of the family or next of kin," he said.
However, he said, their missions provide important consular support in these circumstances.
He said the support includes facilitating communication between local authorities and the family as well as issuing the necessary documentation to support the repatriation process.
Phiri also said they also provide guidance on reputable local undertakers and repatriation service providers.
"We understand that this is a deeply distressing time for the family, and the department encourages them to remain in close contact with the mission for any assistance within our consular mandate. Our officials remain committed to offering support, information, and guidance to help them navigate this difficult process," he added.












