Baseball bat TAXI BOSS!

Tsietso Moreki was beaten with a baseball bat and died at hospital a day after he was admitted.
Tsietso Moreki was beaten with a baseball bat and died at hospital a day after he was admitted.

HE worked for his taxi boss for many years but was fired.

So when his boss asked him to work for him again, Tsietso Moreki was happy.


And it ended with Tsietso allegedly getting beaten up with a baseball bat by his boss for checking in R100. He died of his injuries.

However, Tsietso’s family believes this was all part of the taxi boss’ plan.

Tsietso’s brother Thabo (30) from Zone 14 in Sebokeng, south of Joburg, said they last saw him on Sunday, 11 September, when he went to work.

But the 36-year-old never returned home.

Instead, Thabo received a call on Monday, 12 September, that Tsietso was admitted at Sebokeng Hospital, badly injured.

He said the taxi boss called Tsietso on Thursday, 8 September and asked him to work for him again and Tsietso reported for duty on Friday, 9 September.

“My brother was only supposed to work on Friday and Saturday, and be off on Sunday. But Tsietso was forced to work on Sunday as it was pay day, but he never returned home. I received a call from somebody at Sebokeng Hospital on Monday alerting me my brother was in hospital,” said Thabo.

Thabo said when he got to the hospital, Tsietso told him his boss got angry at him because he only made R100 on Sunday.

On Tuesday, Tsietso died.

You must be SIGNED IN to read comments

The taxi boss allegedly beat up Tsietso with a baseball bat all night and left him at his gate the following morning.

“He was helped by neighbours who called an ambulance,” said Thabo. Tsietso’s aunt, Merriam (58), said what the taxi boss allegedly did was part of his plan.

“He wanted to kill him. That is why he called him to work for him again,” she said.

HEARTBREAK: The aunt of Tsietso Moreki, Merriam Mo
HEARTBREAK: The aunt of Tsietso Moreki, Merriam Moreki and his brother Thabo Moreki believe the taxi boss who allegedly beat up Tsietso had planned it. Photo by Tumelo Mofokeng

She said the family opened a case at Sebokeng Police Station and when they inquired about the progress, cops told them to bring witnesses to make investigations easier.

“This hurt us. How can there be witnesses when the taxi boss’ yard is fenced with high walls? We wish the police arrest him so our son gets justice.”

Merriam said members of the taxi association visited the family and gave them a donation. “They revealed this is the first time they have come across such an incident and don’t know how to deal with it. They said they will escalate the matter to their executive members,” said Merriam.

Police spokeswoman Sergeant Thembeka Maxambela said an inquest docket was opened for further investigation.

Masoheng Taxi Association chairman, Moeketsi Tabanyane, said the association was still waiting for the owner to explain his side of what happened.

“We went to the Moreki family to send our condolences. We don’t condone what they heard people say about one of our members, but we will be able to know all the information of what transpired once the man has come to the executive and explained himself,” he said.

Voting Booth
If I found out that my partner is cheating on me I would?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Cheat back
8% - 42 votes
Try to find out what made them cheat, then work things out if possible.
23% - 121 votes
End the relationship
49% - 258 votes
I don't know what I would do.
20% - 103 votes
Let us know what you think

Contact the People’s Paper with feedback on stories and how we could make even better!

Learn more
Do you have a story for the People’s Paper?

Click below to contact our news desk and share your story with SunLand!

Let's do it!