JOBURG residents have been struggling with running water since last month.
Some went with restricted water usage while others had to rely on water tanks.
On Sunday, 26 March, City of Johannesburg Executive Mayor, Thapelo Amad gave an update on water service interruptions in the city.
In a media briefing joined by officials from Joburg Water, Rand water and the Member of Mayoral Committee (MMC) for Environment and Infrastructure Service Department (EISD), Jack Sekwaila, the Mayor said he is truly burdened by the fact that residents across various suburbs in his city have no access to water.
"I, too, am affected by these water shortages and recognise how untenable the situation is becoming."
"I have spent the past week ensuring relief measures are being provided to communities and as I've inspected reservoirs, met with officials, made sure tankers are on the ground and helped members of communities fill their buckets," he said.
ALSO READ | TOUGH TIMES! No water, no services!Opens in new window
Amad said the most concerning in this moment of crisis for his city, is the back-and-forth between Johannesburg Water and Rand Water, leaving residents bewildered as to who is responsible for the problem.
"This has eroded the credibility of the communication to affected communities and resulted in misinformation," he said.
Sekwaila gave a breakdown of the current status of Joburg water and the interventions.
He said the system has been under immense pressure in the past 10 weeks due to Rand Water experiencing various failures on its bulk infrastructure.
"We have noted with great concern and sympathy the mounting frustrations from our residents, and we would like to take this opportunity to profusely apologise for the disruption to their daily lives and the inconvenience this has caused," he said.
Joburg Water MD, Ntshavheni Mukwevho said the systems are stabilising while pumping commences at Crown Gardens.












