THE family of a 20-year-old pupil who was stabbed to death in Bloemfontein, Free State, on Tuesday, 22 November, has lambasted the media for allegedly spreading wrong information.
The deceased was a grade 11 pupil at Kaelang Secondary School in Rocklands.
The family said their son was not killed to a gang-related feud, as reported earlier.
“Our son was not part of gangsters. He was just a cool boy. He was killed somewhere in JB Mafora, not at the school as the media reported. We call for South Africans to stop spreading lies. We have never been consulted by any media house, except for Daily Sun. We need privacy to mourn. What the media is doing is nothing but punishment to us. We don’t want to be famous for wrong reasons,” said a family member.
The Department of Education has sent a psychosocial official to the school to provide the necessary support and counselling.
Provincial spokesman Howard Ndaba said they had been told that a brawl reportedly broke out between boys at the school, leading to the brutal stabbing of a pupil. He was rushed to the nearest clinic, where he succumbed to his injuries.
Sergeant Ikobeng Hlubi said the deceased was going to a local store with friends when a group of young men approached, armed with dangerous weapons.
“The group attacked them for unknown reasons. They all tried to run away, but the pupil tripped and fell. The group then stabbed him several times,” said Hlubi.