PUTCO has confirmed that it would operate its bus services on Monday, 20 March, despite suspending operations amid safety concerns due to the planned national shutdown by the Economic Freedom Fighters.
Earlier in the week, Putco spokesman Lindokuhle Xulu said services were suspended after they conducted an in-depth analysis.
"The in-depth analysis uncovered threats of intimidation and a planned interruption of economic activities by disrupting road networks to prevent trucks and buses from operating.
"As a precautionary measure and due to safety concerns for passengers and staff, Putco will not operate on Monday," Xulu said.
But as of late Friday afternoon, Xulu confirmed that buses would resume operation on Monday.
This decision came after the company met with the transport minister Lydia Sindisiwe Chikunga, senior government officials, and Southern Africa Bus Operators Association.
In the meeting, Xulu said the government assured them that all measures had been put in place to ensure the efficient operation of the bus company.
ALSO READ: Rhino poacher to rot in jail!
“Government provided the assurance that all efforts have been made to ensure that law and order will be maintained so that economic activities will not be affected on Monday.
“The Minister implored Putco and other bus companies to operate and assured them that sufficient security measures were in place for the safety of passengers, staff, and the general public during the planned national shutdown,” Xulu said.
As a result, he said Putco would operate under usual hours on Monday while monitoring the protest.
“We assure our passengers and staff that we will monitor the situation closely, and should it become unsafe, services will be suspended immediately,” Xulu added.