TWO kids have died and five hospitalised following an alleged food poisoning incident.
The Eastern Cape Department of Health confirmed the news via a statement on Saturday, 7 February. They said the kids were reported to have consumed snacks together prior to falling ill.
The department said that the six kids from Msintsi Location near Berlin and one child from NU3 Mdantsane were admitted to Cecilia Makiwane Hospital. The kids, aged between four and seven years old, presented with symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea and dizziness.
ALSO READ | Boy drowns in flooded mining pit horrorOpens in new window
"Sadly, two children were declared deceased on arrival despite resuscitation efforts by clinical teams. Five others remain under medical care. One child has been intubated and transferred to Frere Hospital for advanced critical care, while the remaining four are reported to be stable and continue to receive treatment and observation," the statement read.
"Preliminary information from families indicates that six of the children from Msintsi had been playing together and consumed snacks prior to becoming ill. The circumstances relating to one child from NU3 are still being established. The exact cause of the suspected food poisoning has not yet been confirmed."
The department said it has immediately activated its emergency and outbreak response protocols.
"The District Environmental Health Unit has been deployed to investigate the source of the illness. The department extends its deepest condolences to the affected families and continues to provide clinical and psychosocial support," the statement read.











