Benni boots in goal number five


Benni McCarthy’s Blackburn Rovers moved up to fifth spot on the Premiership log, following a great 2-1 win against Tottenham Hotspur in North London.

The Bafana Bafana striker netted in the 60th minute and now has five League goals to his name.

Some nine minutes later, he was booked for a foul as Rovers pushed for a winner, which eventually came just before the final whistle.

Aaron Mokoena only played for the second half.

Steven Pienaar also contributed to Everton’s 2-0 win over Derby County. In fact, as far as his work rate was concerned, Pienaar was man of the match and his neat pass in the 63rd minute resulted in his team’s second goal.

In the Championship, both Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton bounced back from mid-week defeats to win important tussles.

Burton O’Brien’s Wednesday moved out of the drop zone for the first time this season after beating Blackpool 2-1 at home in front of 19 238 wildly-ecstatic fans.

The Johannesburg-born left-footed midfielder had a busy match, and was responsible for his side’s winning goal, which came in the 80th minute when his neat out swinging corner was headed home by a teammate.

Southampton travelled to Burnley and by the 15th minute had the ball in the back of the net twice. The home side fought back but the Saints managed to grab all three points with a 3-2 win.

Andrew Surman, who has had very little game time of late, only came on for the final four minutes.

There was finally some joy for Justin Miller as his League One Port Vale upset the formbook by over powering Swindon Town 2-1. He played an active role in this win; taking most of the attacking throw-ins, some direct free kicks and put over a good cross in the 67th minute.

Following this win, Vale is just one point from safety.

In League Two, Bally Smart’s Milton Keynes Dons, lost their eight-match unbeaten run after Stockport County, playing the better football, won 2-0.

Smart was called from the substitutes’ bench in the 66th minute when there was still no score but County shocked the home crowd of 8 290 when they hit the target shortly afterwards.

In a desperate effort to equalize, the South African teenager let rip with a scorching shot five minutes from time but it went over the bar. And just before Stockport made it 2-0 in the dying seconds, he crossed the ball in vain.

Glynn Hurst’s Bury fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Macclesfield Town.

The ex-AmaGlug-glug man, who missed a close range header early in the game, was replaced in the 77th minute.Paul Evans and Warren Goodhind were knocked out of the FA Cup as Bath City and Ebbsfleet United went down to former League sides Torquay United and Exeter respectively.

However, Andrew Harris and Mark Arber are still in with a chance of progressing after Eastleigh held Forest Green 3-3 and Stevenage Borough drew 0-0 with Salisbury.

Reserve goalkeeper, Chad Harpur watched from the bench as his Kilmarnock teammates overran Hearts 3-1 in a Scottish Premier League match. Eight yellow cards were issued, four from each side and Hearts also had a men sent off.

Graeme Brown was back in the Alloa Athletic side for the last few minutes of their game against Raith Rovers. Olloa won 2-1 and are now up to third place in Division Two.