The Golden Foot award is for players of all nationalities who are at least 29 years of age, and whose career achievements stand out above others. It is not only their performances on the field that are used to judge them, but also how they conduct themselves off it.
The winner is chosen out of 10 nominees decided by a jury consisting of the Golden Foot media partners and of fans from all over the world, who can cast their vote through the organisation’s official website, www.goldenfoot.com.
The winner, to be announced this year on September 1, then leaves a permanent mould of his footprints on ‘The Champions Promenade’, a ‘Walk of Fame’ on the seafront of the Principality of Monaco.
Previous winners include Del Piero (2007), Ronaldo (2006), Andriy Shevchenko (2005), Pavel Nedved (2004) and Roberto Baggio.
1. David Beckham (England) Midfielder of Los Angeles Galaxy (Usa)Born on 2 May, 1975, he is a real ambassador for football in the USA.
2. Gianluigi Buffon (Italy) Goalkeeper of Juventus FC (Italy)Born on 28 January 1978, he is the number 1 goalkeeper in the world and world champion in 2006.
3. Fabio Canavaro (Italy) Defender of Real Madrid CF (Spagna)Born on 13 September, 1973, he was the captain of the Italian national side that won the 2006 World Cup.
4. Luís Figo (Portugal) Midfielder of Internazionale FC (Italy)Born on 4 November, 1972, he is a Portuguese legend, and was elected World’s Best Player in 2000.
5. Ryan Giggs (Wales) Midfielder of Manchester United FC (England)Born on 29 November, 1973, he holds the record of national titles gained (10).
6. Thierry Henry (France) Forward of FC Barcelona (Spain)Born on 17 August, 1977, he is the all-time leading scorer of both Arsenal FC and of the French national team. He won the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.
7. Raul González Blanco (Spain) Forward of Real Madrid CF (Spain)Born on 27 June, 1977, he is the leading scorer for Real Madrid and Spain.
8. Roberto Carlos (Brazil) Left side defender of Fenerbahçe SK (Turkey)Born on 10 April, 1973, he is rates as one of the best leftbacks ever, and won the World Cup in 2002.
9. Francesco Totti (Italy) Forward of AS Roma (Italy)Born on 27 September, 1976, he is the best striker in AS Roma history, and won the World Cup in 2006.
10. David Trezeguet (France) Forward of Juventus FC (Italy)Born on 15 October, 1977, he won the World Cup in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.