Sundowns hammer Arrows in Cup


The goals were scored by a Lerato Chabangu brace and a goal by Dillon Sheppard.

The match was fairly even during the first half but in the second half Sundowns seemed to up a gear and dominated, scoring three goals and thoroughly deserving the win.

Jorge Acuña, who started in his first game for Sundowns, had a chance to score in the 13th minute but hammered his shot well past the upright.

Two minutes later Arrows should have taken the lead when Abia Nale was one-on-one with Calvin Marlin but hammered his shot straight at the keeper.

In the 35th minute Sundowns took the lead through a mistake in the Arrows defence.

The ball was hoofed high up field from the Soundowns goalmouth into the Arrows goalmouth, the ball was headed back by defender Musa Bilankulu towards the Arrows keeper Brendon Wardle but went over his head for Lerato Chabangu to run onto and score in an empty net.

Chabangu had a great chance from in front of goal but shot wide of the post and wasted a great scoring opportunity in the 49th minute.

Norman Smith had a chance to score in the 54th minute when he dribbled forward but hammered his left-footed shot straight at Marlin.

A minute later Kagiso Senamela was denied from scoring by a brilliant diving save by Marlin who stopped his well struck shot from going into the top corner.

The Brazilians scored again in the 56th minute when Godfrey Sapula received the ball just outside the goalmouth and passed the ball to Chabangu who shot at goal, the ball was helped into his own net by Bilankulu when he tried to clear the ball to make the score 2-0.

Dillon Sheppard scored with a well struck left-footed shot in the box after receiving a cross from Chabangu in the 64th minute.

In the 69th minute Arrows were down to 10-men when they had their captain Kagiso Dikgacoi sent off after something he said to the referee.

Sundowns took their foot off the peddle after they scored the third goal and ran out comfortable winners.

Show Comments ()