Sundowns' loss puts Igesund under pressure


The 3-1 loss meant that the Brazilians are now rather too close for comfort to the relegation zone. Wits, however, moved to fourth spot on the Absa Premiership log, passing Orlando Pirates.

Sundowns had Calvin Marlin back in goal in favour of Brian Baloyi. The Brazilians had the early possession, but struggled to create chances. However, it was Wits defender Ashraf Hendricks who got the best opportunity when he headed the ball against Sundowns' sidebar, leaving Marlin no chance.

In the 26th minute, Sundowns' left-back Vuyo Mere gave a poorly weighted backpass to his goalkeeper. Wits winger Bruin Senokoane intercepted the ball and put the ball past Marlin.

But six minutes later, the Brazilians' Brent Carelse put in an excellent cross into the box which was headed into the net by Lerato Chabangu.

Hereafter, Sundowns kept most of the possession, but they were unable to create too many chances.

Again, it was Wits that scored the goal, this time a tap-in from close range by striker Dale Studzinski, who had a good game and made sure that the Sundowns defence never felt comfortable.

Wits coach Roger de Sa brought on Sandile Sibande for the disappointing David Radebe at the start of the second half. The game, however, was more or less a mirror of the first half with Sundowns having most possession of the ball.

Chabangu, especially, got a few chances but he was unable to add to his first half goal, finding the goalpost twice on his way. In the 74th minute it is again Senokoane who scored, this time after long rush from nearly his own half, leaving Michael Manzini behind him and putting the ball nicely past Sundowns goalie Marlin.

It was only in the 83rd minute that Sundowns coach Igesund brought on striker Brian Aldave. The newly signed striker from Uruguay immediately made an impact, scoring a great goal in the 87th minute; he received the ball with his right, moved past a defender, before slotting the ball from around the box area into the goal with his left-foot.

Aldave scored another goal just before the final whistle, but it was disallowed due to offside.