Varsity Football Round 2: TUT make it two from two


The Tshwane University of Technology claimed a 1-0 win over former two-time champions University of Pretoria in a tense Tshwane Derby at the Tuks Stadium on Monday night.

UP-Tuks dominated possession throughout the match with left wing Frank Mpedi making several inroads and forcing TUT and SuperSport United goalkeeper Dumisani Msibi – the eventual man of the match - to work hard to maintain a clean sheet. It was TUT who capitalised on their opportunities when Jacob Hlalele scored from a corner shortly before the break to give the visitors the lead.

The action was just as intense in the second half as both teams looked to score. UP-Tuks enjoyed most of the possession but could not convert which saw the home team's emotions run wild. TUT were lucky to get away with a penalty as Msibi blatantly pushed a UP-Tuks attacker in the box, but the referee motioned for the match to continue.

UP-Tuks were relentless in attack in the final minutes but Msibi remained rock solid in defence to help TUT to a 1-0 victory.

On a rather cold winter’s evening in Johannesburg, Wits and UWC played to a goalless draw at the Bidvest Stadium in Braamfontein.

The opening exchanges were rather cagey, but it was the visitors who looked more threatening after the 20-minute mark, but Wits keeper Brylon Petersen looked in top form in between the sticks.

The home side, however, did get a few shot of their own but they weren't good enough to break the deadlock as both teams headed into the break with the score at 0-0.

The second half promised to be more exciting when both teams took to the pitch. The half got underway with the hosts looking a lot more dangerous going forward but the UWC defence remained solid at the back.

UWC keeper Brent Layman also stood strong in goal to keep his boys in the game with Wits' Mathonsi orchestrating a lot of the Wits moves from midfield. In the dying minutes of the game, Wits almost made 1-0 but it wasn't to be as the ball was cleared well by the UWC defence.

The match between UJ and CUT ended in a 0-0 draw as both teams shared the spoils at UJ Stadium on Monday night.

Both teams were evenly matched and there was not much that separated the two sides. The first shot on target came from CUT's Orapeleng Manopole, who was composed in the box and curled in a shot, but it was saved by the UJ goalkeeper Damaine van Der Walt.

The game came alive midway through the first half after lovely interplay by the CUT front three saw van Der Walt make a smart save to keep it at 0-0 after 35 min, the closest both sides came in opening the scoring.

Constant pressure on the left-hand side had the UJ defence exposed with Matthew Edwards committing a cynical foul on the flank, which saw him receive the first yellow card of the game. The resulting set piece was whipped wide and saw the half end in a stalemate, with Lindani Mazibuko getting a late caution at the break.

Halftime saw a switch for UJ, as Samuel Warder replaced the cautioned Lindani Mazibuko.

UJ turned to their bench when striker Pogiso Mabote came in for Emmanuel Ndu on the 55-minute mark as they looked for the opener. However poor finishing and weather conditions were a major factor, as the match remained goalless after 75 minutes. Both teams looked content with a point each, and didn’t take their chances as the spoils were shared.

CUT had the best chance of the game when Orapeleng Motaung was put through and snatched his shot inches wide of the target. The third and final change by UJ saw Jared Abrahams replace captain Ruwell Jagger. There wasn't to be a goal in this tough encounter as the referee blew the final whistle and the match ended 0-0.

North-West University Mafikeng team bounced back and claimed a 3-2 victory against University of Fort Hare in an electrifying match in Mafikeng.

University of Fort Hare striker Olwethu Bless was first to draw blood 12 minutes into the match, but NWU-Mafikeng's Sandile Mbatha equalised three minutes later. Following hot on the heels of Sandile Mbatha's goal, teammate Katlego Banda found the back of the net and shot NWU Mafikeng team into the lead.

A free kick by University of Fort Hare's Zondani Bathandwa put the teams back on level terms, but a powerful shot by NWU-Mafikeng captain Sipho Mateis from the spot helped them to victory.

NWU-Mafikeng midfielder Sandile Mbatha walked away with the FNB Man of the Match award to much supporter praise.

Log standings after round two:

1                              TUT        2              2              0              0              2              0              6

2                              UJ           2              1              1              0              4              0              4

3                              CUT        2              1              1              0              2              0              4

4                              NWU     2              1              0              1              -3            0              3

5                              UWC      2              0              2              0              0              0              2

6                              Wits       2              0              1              1              -1            0              1

7                              UP          2              0              1              1              -1            0              1

8                              UFH       2              0              0              2              -3            0              0