English Premier League match report Burnley v Manchester City 28 April 2019

Manchester City
Manchester City

Manchester City returned to the top of the Premier League table with a narrow 1-0 victory over Burnley on Sunday afternoon at Turf Moor.

The Citizens made only change from their midweek win over Manchester United as Leroy Sane replaced the injured Fernandinho in the line-up.

City were building up their usual rhythm early in the first stanza while the Clarets were predictably playing with numbers behind the ball.

However, Pep Guardiola’s charges were not quick enough in closing down spaces after they lost the ball further up field and that gave the hosts slight chances on counter-attacks but City goalkeeper Ederson was often quick off his line to avert danger.

On the other side, Sean Dyche’s men did not offer the Citizens space in the final third. It took 28 minutes before they could have a shot on target through Bernardo Silva’s dipping strike to the far post that was saved by Burnley shot-stopper Tom Heaton.

Dyche’s troops were weathering the storm with ten minutes remaining of the first stanza but they were solid at the back, looking to go to the break without conceding and they managed to keep City at bay as the pace of the game was slowing down in the closing stages and the first stanza ended without goals.

After relentless pressure at the start of the second half, Sergio Aguero finally broke the deadlock for Guardiola’s men in the 63rd minute after sweeping home Silva’s cross inside the box and although his shot was seemingly cleared off the line, the goal-line technology confirmed that it crossed the line.

Gabriel Jesus, who replaced Leroy Sane, came close to finding that insurance goal with 15 minutes remaining as he skipped past Heaton following a through ball from Kyle Walker but his shot towards the open goal was cleared off the line.

With chances hard to come by in the closing stages, City decided to close shop with six minutes remaining as defender John Stones replaced forward Aguero.

The visitors were able to see out the closing stages to hold on for the 1-0 victory that took them back to the top of the pile, a point ahead of Liverpool who dropped to second.