A new witness, who alleges that Brazil star Dani Alves was behaving in a violent manner on the night in question, has reportedly come forward in the sexual assault case brought against the fullback.
Alves was arrested last Friday after being accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a Barcelona night club in December last year.
With the veteran remaining in police custody, his former club UNAM Pumas confirmed that they have cut ties with the player amid the ongoing case.
The FC Barcelona legend initially claimed he was innocent and that he did not know the woman in question.
However, CCTV footage disproving his claim forced the right-back to change his testimony several times.
According to La Vanguardia, with a trial date yet to be set, a new witness has now emerged, and the individual is prepared to corroborate the alleged victim's take on the incident.
It is said the assault took place in the bathroom of the nightclub called Sutton, with the second witness having told the authorities that Alves was definitely present at the venue on the night, and that he also made advances towards her in a violent manner.
Several pieces of evidence against the former Juventus fullback have been collected, but there are some serious concerns around the case due to the amount of confidential information that has been leaked to the press.
It is reported that if the trial were to involve a jury, it would be extremely difficult to find autonomous and independent jurors due to the information that is already in the public realm, in addition to the safety concerns for those involved.
Alves, meanwhile, has been moved to a different prison to the one where he was initially detained for his own protection.
It is said the new facility is a smaller jailhouse that allows for closer vigilance of other prisoners around him and the player himself, with there being concerns that he might consider self-harm.
The 39-year-old's ex-wife, Dana Dinorah, has stood in support of her ex-husband, insisting the Brazil defender would never commit such a crime.
“I'm still in shock. It seems like it's a nightmare and it's not happening," she said during an interview on Spanish television show Fiesta.
"Dani would never, ever, ever do this. I say this because I've known him for 22 years and was married to him for 10.
"This has been a shock for me and for my children. I have two teenage children who are suffering.
"I've not had access to Dani and haven't been able to speak to him on the phone. His lawyer says he's sad but he's okay.
"She's the only one who has been able to see him. I'm here for whatever I can do to help him."
You must be SIGNED IN to read and post comments.