- Social media users went awry when Dr Musa Mthombeni expressed his love for his wife in the comments of her Instagram picture, as he usually does.
- This is not the first time people have had a problem with a Black man loving his wife out loud.
- From soccer star Itumeleng Khune to musician Kwesta, here are 10 other men who continue to express their affection for their partners.
TV Personality and medical doctor Dr Musa Mthombeni has, once again, gone viral for loving his wife ‘too much’.
Ever since Dr Musa started being public with his relationship, particularly after he got married to former Miss South Africa and radio personality Liesl Laurie-Mthombeni, he has been expressing his love for her online in a way that seems to make some social media users uncomfortable.
READ MORE | PICS | Liesl Laurie and Dr Musa Mthombeni’s virtual lobola negotiation
When the former Trending SA presenter became a trending topic once again for his very public display of affection for his wife in the comments section of her Instagram post, some people started saying udlisiwe (he’s been given a love potion. While others say he behaves the way he does because he’s ‘bagged his first baddie’ - alluding to the fact that Liesl is the first beautiful woman Dr Musa has ever partnered.
"Make me a father!", "Take my payslip! It’s yours!" "Take all my cards. Even the overdrawn ones!" - these are some of the doctor's comments under Liesl's post (which can be seen below) that had social media users talking.
In the U.S., footballer Russell Wilson has received similar backlash for loving musician Ciara ‘out loud’ by gushing over her, spoiling her and treating her like a queen. Social media users in the U.S. also found Russell’s public displays of his affection for his wife to be uncomfortable, with some referring to him as a ‘simp’.
It is obviously not a new phenomenon to have women be accused of bewitching men into loving them when said men start expressing their love outright or doing things that are a clear display of how they feel about their partners - tangible or otherwise. It is in fact, an age-old rumour that dates back to our grannies and their grannies’ times.
Though very unfortunate that this is still how many Black people feel about good-old public displays of affection, there are more Black South African men who are breaking the stereotype that loving their wives and partners out loud is corny or unusual.
We've listed 10 celebrity men who have unabashedly declared their love and affection for their wives:
1. Dr Musa Mthombeni to Liesl Laurie-Mthombeni
2. Brenden Praise to Mpoomy Ledwaba
3. Priddy Ugly to Bontle Modiselle
4. Murdah Bongz to DJ Zinhle
5. Itumeleng Khune to Siphelele Khune
6. TT Mbha to Esperanca Mbha
7. Yonda Thomas to Dr Taz Emeran-Thomas
8. Kwesta to Yolanda
9. Siya to Rachel Kolisi
10. Ze Nxumalo to Dr Tamaryn Green Nxumalo
Don't miss our top stories, sign up to the TRUELOVE newsletters now!